Friday, January 27, 2012

The Commas Create the Drama

     I'm posting now to give advice. I got the idea as I was editing my little sister's story for her Creative Writing class.
     Punctuation is probably one of the most important aspects of writing. Take this, for example:
     Commas create drama!
     That's right--it's underlined and bolded! (And there's an exclamation point--that marks importance too)  That means it's important. Depending on where you put a comma, it can tell the reader where to pause, where things end, where it gets harder for the character to continue or breathe or anything. Commas, punctuation, periods, are where things start to become real.
     If you don't know your punctuation, then I hope you learn to. You can really get creative with punctuation. It's half the writing! That and spelling, of course--along with grammar and word choice... but those are topics for another time!
     Happy writing!
-Anevay

No comments:

Post a Comment