Saturday, May 12, 2012

Analyzing another Writer's work

Alright, this is mostly because I'm obsessed, but hey, why not? As a writer, you should always examine other writers work too, correct? To better improve yourself and see what they do? Ah, that's just my excuse.
     In order from most favorite to least favorite (currently), here are my favorite series ever (and this was really hard to compose):
-Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan
-The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
-Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
-The Beyonders by Brandon Mull
-Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan
-Brotherband Chronicles by John Flanagan
-Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
-The Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan
-The 39 Clues (by multiple authors, started by Rick Riordan)
-The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan
-Sammy Keyes by Wendelyn Vandraanan
    And I'm sure there are TONS of others, but these are my ABSOLUTE favorites of every series I've ever read. Currently, my biggest obsession is The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, but we'll start with John Flanagan, since he's right at the top of my favorite author's list along with J.K. Rowling, Brandon Sanderson, Brandon Mull and Rick Riordan.
So, here are my words of praise for John: an incredible writer! Gives just enough detail without overdoing it. He has incredible character development, battle scene descriptions, and drama balanced with the cheese and intensity. He grabs you with both plot and characters, which I find extremely important. You've got to have a balance, and John definitely has it. He's realistic and dramatic without going overboard.
    And, since I admire her greatly, we'll talk next about J.K. Rowling; author of the Harry Potter series. Rowling has created a incredible world that all readers can enjoy. She eases you in to the story by easing Harry into it with you. Perhaps the most incredible thing about Rowling's writing are her connections. It's amazing! Everything in the books happens for a reason--there isn't one important detail, in all the times that I've read them, that hasn't come back in and connected perfectly into the story line. Each person dies for a specific reason, and each object/detail/plot expectations is brought it in at the right moments and in the right way. Nothing is wrong or rushed. She executes her plot beautifully, and I admire and envy her for it.
     Next on my list is Brandon Sanderson! Oh, Stormfather, you have no idea how much I'm obsessed with his writing. While his books are generally very long, he does character development incredibly. Each character has a background that you can see in their personality, that differs and makes them unique, and that he tells beautifully. His connects are flawless, too, as far as I can tell (I'm on my second way through The Way of Kings). His landscape descriptions bring the place into mind, which is important in a fantasy world where you create everything. Another prominent thing I've noticed about his writing is that he's very realistic: he doesn't over-dramatize things like a lot of writers do--storms, I do it too. It's an excellent acquired skill that has brought his books to life. He tells his world like it's real, and makes you believe it is too.
Ah, here we are with Brandon Mull! I'm in love with his writing,too. He is so talented. He too has an amazing world of fantasy that captures you. His writing has a great flow to it. Nothing feels out of place. And look, he also has awesome character development. I'm always finding myself in love with the characters he creates. He can make characters you love and characters you hate, along with an amazing story line and creative, one of a king fantasy world. Not only that, but he has a beautiful grasp on reality. He writes realistically with emotions, differing his characters and making them stand out. I also love his writing style!
Last but not least, I'll touch on Rick Riordan. I love the way he has taken the loved series Percy Jackson, with it's Greek mythology based story line. He has the basics of the gods and the mythology, but he brings in his own details and gives the gods personalities. He makes Percy likeable, and has each character stand out. He, like J.K. Rowling, eases you into another world as he eases Percy in with you, making it feel better to read. And in the end, holy Zeus, you love Percy! You even love some of the bad guys. I also love the idea he has with his main series: Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus, Kane Chronicles--they're all based on a certain type of mythology. Greek and then Egyptian, two that are completely different, and yet he also has them connect. I love it. He's a great writer.

     So, if you'll notice from the descriptions above, they all involve character development and descriptions, flowing writing, balance, realistic, likeable, intense. There are many aspects to writing, and those authors mentioned above, I feel, have mastered many of those techniques. Many of which I someday hope to master as well and join them on that list.
     Examining and analyzing another writers work always helps, even if you don't think they're very good. Sometimes that helps you realize what you're doing good. And so, I salute those writer's above and say huzzah to them and their work.
Aw, and there's me! YES, YES, YES!
-Anevay

No comments:

Post a Comment